It has been 8 days since the Zim elections, and presidential results still aren’t officially known, despite a constitution that requires release of results within 6 days. As we all wait with baited breath, the hopes of a quick resolution and smooth transition dwindle. If you haven’t been following, it’s a pretty interesting issue to read up on, fueled by speculation more than fact because very little information is flowing.
We still don’t know when Alexio will go home. Possibly Wednesday, possibly Friday (never if I have my way, which of course, I won’t). I’m trying not to think about it.
The weekend was good and over too quickly as usual. Ate some really good Chinese food on Friday and then went to a bbq, spent too much money at the fancy grocery store on Saturday and then went to a really great concert that night.
I was introduced to Afro pop band Malaika (from South Africa) when I lived in Zim and loved them, so we decided to pass up the regularly scheduled Saturday night expat party when we heard that they were doing a show…conveniently a 5 minute walk from my house, at the notorious Chez Ntemba night club. We arrived 20 minutes after the 8pm ticketed start time, and were among the first, which afforded us the opportunity to find a decent spot sitting on a low wall in the makeshift outdoor concert space. By 11 the opening acts came on. Around midnight Malaika took the stage and were great, and were followed by local reggae sensations the Black Missionaries. When the live music stopped around 3, we all piled into the nightclub, (figuring, if you’ve made it til 3am, why go home now?), danced until after 4 and then stumbled home.
12:30pm Sunday, and the realization that we actually had to get out of bed at some point, hit us hard. But we had another bbq to go to, so on on!
Our splurge grocery shopping trip allowed me the much anticipated opportunity to buy a potato masher, so in celebration I have invited friends over tonight for some shepherd’s pie…yumm!!!
2 comments:
I was excited to hear of a night club within walking distance of your place, but to start after midnight - sorry, but I would want to rent a cot while waiting for the activity to begin....getting too old I guess.
And my friends wanted to leave last week's dance at 11.20pm! What a bunch of party poops...
Hey Heather,
It's been a while since I've read your blog, I've just caught up. It's freaky reading some of your stories - I'm glad you're still in one piece!
I threw a little cocktail party on my birthday last week and missed having you there! It sucks having everyone spread out across the globe, but Bianca did sort of attend via Skype, which was pretty cool :)
As always, love your photos. Keep them coming!
Steph
Post a Comment