Sunday, May 18, 2008

Candlelight

It’s a good thing we managed to have Party #2 on Friday night, because by the time I had to get up Sunday morning to go to the Candlelight Memorial Global Launch I was just recovered enough to be able to show up for work.

My role for the day was as the MANET+ photographer, which meant that I got a press pass and was right up at front in the press pit with all the cameras during the ceremony. It also meant that as the President of Malawi – Dr Bingu Wu Mutharika (who I affectionately only refer to as Bingu, cause it sounds funny) – made his rounds to all the booths set up in the arena, I got to precede him by seconds as part of the photo frenzy trying to get the perfect snap (which I never did). I think the experience taught me that I am not aggressive enough for the role, and should stick to my day job, though I did feel unfairly discriminated against as not only the only whitey in the group but also the only woman, and just didn’t have the will to throw elbows as I was getting pushed out of the way. One photographer even almost pushed me into Bingu. Luckily his very large bouncer was willing to earn his paycheck and promptly batted me away from the president and into the safety of some ropes that were anchoring a display tent. Good times.

Mom came to the ceremony along with Jules, Janna, Regan and Claire, so there are a couple of shots of me up at the front taking pics J The festivities were good but a little long, and the day was a bit windy and overcast. Bingu spoke, and the Guest speaker was the former President of Zambia, who lost his son to HIV/AIDS in the 80s. There were dances and songs, and parades of school kids coming into the stadium in waves with signs and chants. I was glad to be busy taking the pictures.


"Never Forget People Who Have Died of HIV/AIDS"


Former President of Zambia


Bingu

Bingu talking to my Programmes Manager George at the MANET+ booth
Lighting the candle

Some of the crowd

Glenda, Faless and Sibo, my colleages who were working as usherettes in the VVIP section (yes, I meant to have 2 V's!)

No comments: