When I was a kid, I went on a trail ride with my mom and was
thrown from the horse onto a thorny shrub. I decided then and there that I didn’t
like riding things and I’ve always been one to hold a bit of a grudge.
Fast forward a few years to high school, and one of my best
friends – Caroline – was obsessed with horses. On a couple of occasions I would
join her at the stables and didn’t mind handing out the carrots and apples or
taking pictures of her doing her thing, but I still wasn’t interested in
hopping on.
Then one day she finally wore me down and I agreed to go on
a trail ride. “Everything will be ok!” she promised.
We met with the Horse Guy, explained the situation and he
hooked me up with Buttercup, promising I wouldn’t be able to convince her to go
much faster than a leisurely stroll even if I really, really tried. Buttercup
and I were going to get along.
Now Caroline, she wanted a horse with a bit more spice.
Being the experienced rider she was, she eagerly accepted the one the guy said
was a bit “feisty”.
The rest of the details are a bit foggy, on account of the
15 or so years since this happened – did she decide to go bare back to show
off? Was Gervaise, her French exchange student/our friend there? Was she maybe
bareback? I can’t remember clearly. But
I know this for sure:
At some point in the ride, Buttercup and I were happily, lethargically,
making our way across the trail, in solidarity and with silent mutual
understanding that we would get through this together, when all of a sudden,
Caroline and her Crack horse came shooting past us and then disappeared over
one of the meandering hills.
“You’re crazy!” I laughed, potentially a little jealous
because it probably looked like fun.
Until Crack came back, gunning it. Without Caroline.
“Noooooooooooooo!”
She was surely dead. Her friggin’ mental horse had killed
her and fled the scene, like a hit and run, only this would have been a buck
and run I guess. At the very least she was injured and lonely and scared, out
there in the wilderness. I had visions of vast fields packed tight with
thriving, thorny, bushes.
This was a real problem because not only was she my best
friend, but she was also my ride to school every day.
“Buttercup! Let’s go! We have to save Caroline!”
I probably didn’t actually talk to the horse, but I have
memories of kicking that beast and flapping those reigns like there was no
tomorrow. Which of course there wasn’t, because Buttercup was quite happy
living in the today. Or maybe even the yesterday. We went nowhere.
“Buttercup! Pleeeeeeeeeeeease!”
But there was no hero in Buttercup. She was exactly who she
had promised to be and so we waited; me rather helplessly and in quite a tizzy
because I didn’t even really know how to get off Buttercup to find my friend on
my own anyway, and her, oblivious to the part she was playing in shaving a few
days (weeks?) off my life as a result of the devastating effects acute stress
has on the body. She may have even persisted slowly along the trail, motivated
by the promise of the snack that she would always get if she did this very
thing.
After what was probably only a couple of minutes, (a few
terrifying, horrible, I’m-going-to-have-to-walk-to-school-now, horses-are-the-devil
minutes), Caroline appeared over the hill (or one of the trail guides went and
got her). She was alive and in good spirits, though I wouldn’t be surprised if to
this day her leg still showed signs of the giant purple, yellow and black welt
that developed; she went to battle and lost.
She *may* have spent quite a lot of time having to calm me
down afterwards.
The point was: fool me once, shame on you. But fool me
twice, shame on me. It was confirmed then and there that I wouldn’t be riding
anything, anymore.
This is all relevant because Days 7 & 8 in Bali forced
me to re-examine this life choice.
Nisha and I splurged and treated ourselves to two nights at
the Elephant Safari Lodge, which provides 5 star accommodation for guests and
is also home to about 30 rescued Sumatran elephants. Nisha had never been up
close to an elephant before, and I thought it sounded like fun too, so it was
an easy choice to book in for a couple of nights.
The hotel was amazing. The room really comfortable and the
bathroom enormous. They made elephant towel origami and gave us fruit platters!
Dinner was al fresco and duck was one of the buffet options! We could hear the elephants trumpeting through
the night!
Only problem? Our package included an elephant back ride
through the park AND an elephant chauffer to dinner. (No shit you guys, the
elephants literally swing by your room so you can hop on and they will take you
to dinner - they don’t pay, walk you home after or promise to call the next day
though).
I downplayed my concerns.
Until it was about time for the first elephant to show up at
our door and which point I tried to extract myself from the situation –
mentally - and just get on the damn thing.
I told my fear to “stuff it”. And survived. Somehow.
The next day, 15 yr old Ryan picked me up to go for our little
safari walk. It didn’t talk long to recognize that he was a little strong
willed and always hungry: we were kindred spirits.
At one point though, where there was an unfortunate
combination of a slight downward slope and the promise of food ahead that put
an extra bit of pep in Ryan’s step (Buttercup would have been in awe of his
exuberance).
“Breathe!” Nisha yelled over her shoulder back at me as my
face contorted and started turning purple from the fear and the death grip that
I had on that stupid saddle/seat thing. Just
breathe.
If I look terrified in all the photos it’s because I was.
Ryan literally shits more than the
equivalent of one of me every day. He’s a force to be reckoned with, the big
lug.
So that’s my story. I did it. I rode an elephant. Won’t be
racing back to do it again, but it’s done. And there’s probably a lesson in
there about limitless capacity for second (third, forth…) chances, doing things
that scare you sometimes (even if just to be reminded that you’re alive) and
trusting things bigger than yourself.
But lets worry about those later.
3 comments:
I'm laughing so hard - there are tears running down my face!
And I remember your first trail ride oh so well...
my brave daughter
Mom
Hey Heather. Continue with your wonderful tales and stories. Was complaining to your Mom.....she hasn't written anything for months! lol Here's some news for you...I'm going to be a grandfather in the spring as Jeff and Sara are expecting. So pumped. Life is wonderful. Boys all good. Jason starts his 17th year of Electric Wheel-Chair Hockey. We are truly blessed. Continue to explore life and be safe. Wayneavansi
Happy to provide photos for a fee!! Heather it was an awesome trip, ready to start planning for 2014? Or should we be slightly disciplined and wait until 2014?
Post a Comment