I’ve heard there is a new movie out called Machine Gun Preacher.
Perhaps it has already come and gone from a theatre near you. Maybe you’ve seen it? Maybe you’re thinking of seeing it? I’m a little out of the loop on these things.
According to IMDB, it is “the story of Sam Childs, a former drug-dealing biker tough guy who found God and became a crusader for hundreds of Sudanese children who’ve been forced to become soldiers”. He opened an orphanage, saved a bunch of children, but did so by becoming a small arms dealer and killing ‘bad guys’.
The movie premiered at the Toronto Film Festival, and I’m not sure if I want to suggest that you don’t go see it because to be honest I am also a bit curious. What I will say is that regardless of the entertainment factor, and regardless of the undeniable hotness of Gerard Butler and regardless of the link to my countries of current residence, I am forced to believe that Hollywood has just put my life in a little more danger.
Here’s why:
We wouldn’t need humanitarian aid, and thus humanitarian workers, if there weren’t bits and pieces of world that weren’t slightly messed up. Although I wouldn’t go so far as to say that the world is a nasty place, certain circumstances in these countries don’t exactly add compelling arguments to the contrary. Not at the moment at least.
That’s why we’re here. That’s why I kept going to school. That’s why I have a job. (That’s why my student loans might eventually be paid off.)
Now don’t go giving me all sorts of accolades. I don’t do the really nitty gritty hardcore stuff. I work in some dodgy places, but when bombs start dropping or guns start firing, I’d be among the first pulled out (this hasn’t happened yet, not to me at least). I’m what is considered ‘non-essential’ staff, which at first was a bit of a blow to my ego but now I see it for the blessing that it is – not only does it mean that my requests for holiday time at Christmas have been approved since I don’t need to worry about covering any of the essential services, it also means that when shit hits the fan, my activities are the first to be put on hold and there is no discussion of whether or not I need to go in. ‘Cause I never need to go in. Phew.
That doesn’t mean that things are all rainbows and puppies though. While my safety and security is well managed by a team of people who want me to leave breathing and with as many body parts as I arrived with, all in the right places, this isn’t Toronto. (And if it was Toronto, it would be Jane and Finch during a heat wave/brown-out combo). Some of the areas we work are the most heavily contaminated areas in the world (on a land mine per square meter basis I believe, though don’t quote me on that – my training will be in a few days and then I can update you) and even if you don’t step off the beaten path, there are nerve wracking checkpoints to navigate through, and AK-47’s everywhere. I had my first ever run in with a really big gun on my second night in country, and thankfully listened to the little voice that told me to just stay calm (it was a colleague sitting behind me in the backseat).
It seems that everyone is armed. Except us. And that’s completely the point.
Most humanitarian organizations go out of their way to be very clear that we are not armed. We have stickers on all our vehicles that show an AK-47 with a big red X through it, surrounded by the words “No Weapons”. We have policies, we have rules, we have procedures all related, and breaking them is serious business. It's as much about protecting ourselves, as it is about enabling access to the people who need our help.
Having an individual out there using violence in the name of humanitarianism is bad enough; we all know how much harm just one person can do, but the truth is it seems that most people around here hadn't even heard of him. But now a feature film about it also? Eish.
What this movie does is promote a blurring of the line between humanitarians and mercenaries, popularizing the notion that we might not be who we say we are. Next time I’m stopped by soldiers is it going to be harder for me to convince them that I’m one of the ‘good guys’ and just there to help? I hope not. (And if not, then it’s certainly with no thanks to the flick).
I get it. I do. In theory it makes for good entertainment - regardless of how factual it is- that some hard ass Jesus loving biker is saving kids in Africa, I’m just not sure I want to spend $13.50 to support something that might make it even tougher to get my colleagues and I home safely, even if once on the inside the popcorn is wicked good.
If you see it, let me know what you thought of it. I promise I'll try not to judge you :P
If you see it, let me know what you thought of it. I promise I'll try not to judge you :P
2 comments:
Mothers should not have to read about some of the realities in their daughters lives... but on the other hand, I have asked for more about what you do on a day to day basis...
And you wonder why we worry about you? And just for the record, puppies can actually be quite dangerous... I have stitches and puncture marks to prove it!
E
Post a Comment